Thursday, November 3, 2011

Ballet


Kaelyn took this photo of her friends with their pointe shoes on

My sweet Kaelyn girl has many talents it seems. She is a beautiful girl with a beautiful smile and personality to go along with it. She loves ballet. When we first signed her up 4 years ago I didn't really think she would like it all that much. Kaelyn has never been a girly girl so to speak. Boy, was I wrong!!! She has grown such a LOVE for ballet and dancing in general. She has many other talents as well, photography being one of them. A few weeks ago in one of her classes at school she was asked to write an essay. Last week, Kaelyn asked if I would proofread her essay and fill out a questionnaire. I am so grateful I was given the opportunity to read this essay. I immediately fell in love with it and I hope you will too.

Pointe Shoes
With a face full of excitement, I think to myself, “This is so easy! It doesn’t hurt at all.” Then I hear Ms. Robbin’s voice say, “Kaelyn do these feel okay? Not too big or too small?” Being the happiest person alive at the moment, I replied, “Nope! They’re perfect!” Looking back on that day, I was so ecstatic. So happy to have a pair of pointe shoes that I could call my own.
Sitting on the cold floor of the ballet studio, not knowing what is going to happen in the next 30 minutes, I listen attentively to Ms. Robbin’s voice on how to correctly put on your pointe shoes. Step by step she walks us through the process, and with every step comes more nerves. I slip on the toe pad, then the shoe. Making sure to flex my foot while tying the ribbon to make sure it’s not too tight.
Finishing both feet I put away my things and go to the bar to warm up before we start class. As I was in the middle of fixing my box, Ms. Robbin says, “Okay girls, lets begin.” Then following with, “Remember, there’s a difference between pain and discomfort. If something is uncomfortable, push through it. If something is painful, go sit down and rest.”
The next ten minutes are spent warming up and stretching our feet. By this time, the arches of your feet already feel like they have been running on hot coals with nothing on for thousands of miles. Your toes are cramped up so badly that your great grandchildren’s great grandchildren will feel it! Realizing that there’s still twenty minutes left of class I take a deep breath. In my mind, I’m starting to think that I won’t be able to do this and I’m not cut out for this kind of stuff!
Class continues and before I realize it, Ms. Robbin is saying, “Thank-you girls. You all did a wonderful job for your first day!” Me, about to crawl on the floor and stay there, never having to move again, I walk out of the studio feeling better than ever before! I believed that I could do anything and no matter how much pain these shoes may cause me, I’ll stay strong. That day, after the worst thirty minutes of my life, my self-esteem and confidence skyrocketed. I had never believed in myself so much more then right then, in that moment. I’ve changed for the better thanks to two painful shoes that I was so excited to get; but that I am now dreading. -Kaeyln Washburn

No comments:

Post a Comment