
I have a very bad habit. Well, I probably have lots of bad habits, but this one could have ended badly. As you know, I live in a small house with a small kitchen that doesn't have lots of room for food, appliances and other kitchen necessities. So, when we have a bag of chips or something left over I tend to store them in my oven. There have been times I have forgotten to take the things out of the oven before turning the oven on. However, Kaelyn has had more trouble with this than I have. Normally, it's not a big deal. Although, irritating because we have lost full bag's of chips along with a new loaf of bread. This time seemed no different.
Kaelyn came home from school and decided to fix something for lunch. We have a dish in our oven for the chips to be placed in. I quickly noticed that dish was NOT sitting on the counter like it should be. Opening the oven I noticed there had been a bag of popcorn placed in the oven. Although, it was almost empty the damage had been done. We pulled the bag off the rack as popcorn spilled all over the bottom of the oven. We turned the oven off, got a pan and began to get the popcorn out of the bottom of the oven. I knew a few pieces of popcorn had fallen through to the very bottom of the oven, but didn't really think twice about it.
The next day (these were half days from school) she came home to cook her a friend some lunch in the oven. Thank goodness for her friend. She noticed there were flames in the oven coming from the bottom of the oven. I immediately knew it was the popcorn, but when you see flames in your oven there is a little adrenaline that takes over. Yes, we turned the oven off, but felt we should probably call 911 and have them come check out to make sure we would be ok.
As the fire truck arrived, Kaelyn and her friend, sat giggling on the couch. Glad they weren't as embarrassed about the whole incident as I was.


No comments:
Post a Comment