Thursday, January 6, 2011

Straight A's


Our little girls' brought home report cards yesterday. I never know what is going to be said about our kids while they are away from the home all day.

Ellie bursted through the door with excitement!! She had the biggest grin on her face along with a little pep in her step. She reminded me that report cards were coming home. She gave me hers and watched me with much anticipation open the envelope. Ellie doing this made me anxious!! As I opened her report card I could just feel the excitement and she could no longer wait. "I got all A's!!!", bursts out of her mouth.

Ellie got all A's!!!!!!

See, for Ellie this is a HUGE accomplishment. Ellie didn't speak until she was 3 or older. So, for the first few years of school, Ellie would be pulled out of class for speech therapy. Then about 4-5 years ago we found out she was going blind. She has a genetic condition that causes her eye to move (lazy eye). Although, her eye didn't drift so Marc and I really had no idea she couldn't see. When she started school they did an eye exam on her. There were some concerns so I took her to the doctor. The doctor confirmed Ellie couldn't see very well. Because we didn't have vision insurance we opted to take her to an Optometrist. Well, they did put her in glasses BUT.........

About 6 months after starting her glasses Marc had some family come to town. His brother, Dan, is an Ophthalmologist. He noticed something in her eyes and told us we need to get Ellie into an Ophthalmologist as soon as we could. Sure enough, we had Ellie an appointment within a week or so.

Ellie is going blind is what we were told in so many words. Her prescription for her glasses changed and the "patch" was introduced to us. Ellie had to "patch" her eye at least 3-4 hours a day. This was not an easy task.... Ellie hated it and I soon found out why. I put the patch on my eye one day to see how it felt. Oh my word....the eye I could see with hurt so bad. Ellie patched her eye for about 1-1 1/2 years.... we must have done a pretty good job. Now, the doctor says he can't tell which eye was losing the vision.

This is why Ellie getting straight A's in school tickles me!!!!! This little girl of ours is amazing!!! She has been given some trials at an early age and yesterday showed how well she overcame those trials (as I sit here crying). Ellie immediately called her dad. We decided there was a celebration in order!!!!!! Pizza with a little Cold Stone for dessert :)

1 comment: